This is a rich, decadent chocolate mud cake. Your next go-to chocolate cake is sitting right here on this page. It is hard to come by a chocolate cake recipe that is reliably rich, dense and moist but this recipe, adapted from one by Adelaide’s Haigh family of chocolatiers, ticks all the boxes. Plus, it is gluten free. The addition of beetroot makes the cake moist and gives it a rich, dark colour. I promise, you won’t even taste the beetroot—but wear gloves and perhaps an apron when you’re handling it, and take care
if working on light-coloured bench tops.
ORANGE CREAM CHEESE ICING
- Preheat oven to 160C, lightly grease a 20-centimetre round springform cake tin and line with baking paper.
- For the cake, place walnuts in mixing bowl and grind 5 seconds/speed 6. Set aside.
- Place beetroot in mixing bowl and grate 5 seconds/speed 6. Place in a sieve and squeeze excess juice from the beetroot.
- Place dark chocolate in mixing bowl and chop 5 seconds/ speed 7, then melt the chocolate 2 minutes/60 degrees/speed 1. Set aside and allow to cool. No need to clean the mixing bowl.
- Place eggs, brown sugar and vanilla extract in mixing bowl and beat 3 minutes/speed 3. Set the timer on the Thermomix to 2 minutes/speed 4 and emulsify the olive oil through the hole of the mixing bowl lid.
- Add the reserved grated beetroot, cocoa powder, cinnamon, reserved ground walnuts, baking powder, salt and reserved melted chocolate then mix 30 seconds/speed 5.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tin and bake for 1½ hours. Turn oven off and allow cake to cool in the oven for 15 minutes, with door ajar, before removing from oven and turning onto a cooling rack. Clean mixing bowl.
- For the cream cheese icing, combine cream cheese, orange zest and juice in mixing bowl and mix 10 seconds/speed 5, then scrape down mixing bowl with spatula and beat 2 minutes/speed 3.
- Add the icing sugar and combine 30 seconds/speed 5 then scrape down the mixing bowl with spatula and mix 10 seconds/speed 7. Set aside and refrigerate until needed, clean mixing bowl.
- For the candied beetroot, combine the caster sugar, orange juice and sliced beetroot in the mixing bowl and cook 15 minutes/100 degrees/speed soft/Reverse.
- To serve, spread the cream cheese icing on cooled cake and top with candied beetroot.